5 Conservative Reasons to Oppose the Enbridge Pipeline
1. It doesn’t create enough jobs. The work building the pipeline is temporary, and the work in the oil fields is seasonal, which will not significantly affect our employment numbers.
2. If this is about making Canada money, we should be refining our own petroleum in this country to create jobs instead of exporting crude oil.
3. There is a finite amount of crude oil on the planet. Selling it away quickly and cheaply now may seem like good way to stimulate economic growth, but the value of our oil reserves are only going to go up with time. We should sit on it and focus on other industries for short-term growth.
4. A spill is inevitable, if you look at the poor safety record of Enbridge. It is not fiscally conservative to build shoddy pipelines that require additional money to clean up the aftermath of. On top of that, crude oil leaks could damage the profitability of other industries such as tourism and fishing- which hurts the Canadian economy.
5. The Enbridge pipeline is never going to lower gas prices for the consumer.